Big Bertha...


I am sometimes known for doing things... as my mother would say...ass backwards. The logical way of going about horse ownership would be to purchase land (or have a reliable barn to board at), own your own truck and trailer, theeeeen getting the horse of your dreams. Well I jumped the gun bought the horse and have been playing musical truck and trailers with friends and family ever since. I currently drive a Jeep Wrangler that I love but obviously can't pull a horse trailer with. There were a few people who were incredibly kind and let me borrow their trailers whenever needed but hauling other peoples trailers all over town made me a nervous wreck.

So I began to search for a trailer of my own. I looked on Facebook and Craigslist trying to find a good deal on a used trailer. There were a few that seemed like GREAT deals and some actually were, but those sold quickly.  Others were affordable but huge projects that were a bit daunting. From missing titles, to extensive rust, or dubiously road worthy tires... they all seemed to come with more stress than the discounted price was worth. One in particular my uncle told me to run from, his exact words... "Run like your hair is on fire!". 



I eventually made a call to Texan Trailers out in Tomball and spoke with a man named Cody to see if a new trailer might be a possible. We crunched the numbers for a bit and to my amazement it WAS possible. He also found they had just gotten in a new two horse slant load CM Dakota trailer with a spacious tack room in the exact color I was looking for that day. We drove out there and there sat Big Bertha. While compared to most horse trailers Big Bertha is not so big, but compared to the smaller two horse straight loads with tiny cubbies for tack that I had been using she was HUGE. And the tack room...oh that tack room! I was in love!! There were multiple hooks, three saddle stands, and a bar to hang clothing (or Sky's growing collection of saddle pads) on and a nice little window to let in the light. 



Now she's been decked out with a trailer cover, hitch cover, and reflective appaloosa safety decals that I LOVE! We took our first solo trip driving out to Waller for a lesson which was both exhilarating and horrifying all at once but thankfully uneventful. We've traveled a few times to ride with friends out in Crosby, and I'm hoping to go on our first group trail ride sometime this summer.I may not have gone about things in the smartest way possible but things have worked out and I have been extremely BLESSED!



A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R Tolkien


No comments:

Post a Comment